Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 06:51 AM 6/7/00 +0000, Richard Adams wrote:
>
> >Simply try;
> >cat filename >/dev/lp0
> >
> >Where filename is a small text file.
>
> Before you do this, make sure that either you are doing it as root or that
> the userid you are using has permission to write to /dev/lp0 (i.e., /dev/lp0
> needs to be mode 666). Modern Linuxes typically set /dev/lp* to 660, with
> the device owned by root, group lp . This lets lpr/lpd use it but blocks
> diect dumps by non-privileged users.

There is no possibility to think of the 'cat' command because it seems
that Linux can't see neither the lp port nor the printer. I could see
the difference between Linux and Windoze during the boot process:
Windoze is about to 'initialize' the printer on the lpt port even if it
is not still 'installed' under the Control Panel an/or Printers. But it
still reports that it sees both the lpt port and the printer. It just
moves the mechanics for a while and asks for a sheet of paper if tray is
empty etc.

That is an action that I don't get when I boot Linux. It looks to me
that it just tries to do the similar thing like Windoze but it doesn't
finish it in the right state: after the booting of Linux, my printer
remains in a position where only 'power' LED is lite (but not 'online'
and 'paper out') so I am not able to feed it a paper and continue with
printing.

I was suggested to add some lines:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,auto

into /etc/conf.modules and after I did it, it 'recognized' lp0 port and
I can make a print page etc. It continues to work until the next re-boot
of the machine. After doing next re-boot it can't handle the printer
again.

Any idea?

Misko