Richard Adams wrote:

> > > Yes, it sounds like you are not running kerneld the automatic module
> > > loader, it takes it information from /etc/conf.modules via modprobe.
> > > Or you said no to KMOD while compiling your own kernel.
> > >

> > Ok, if so, what could I do now to fix it?
>
> Simply start kerneld.
> /sbin/kerneld
>
> You may want to add that to one of your start scripts.

After I did:

/sbin/kerneld

I got:

Starting kerneld, version 2.1.121 (pid 678)

But, I haven't noticed anything happened to the printer (that was
already on). Btw, recently before starting kerneld, it looks that I
solved a boring continual beep sound coming from the printer (that was
not only annoying but disabled the printer from feeding a sheet of
paper). I have added two lines into /etc/rc.d/rc.local as Lawson
suggested:

/sbin/insmod parport
/sbin/insmod parport_pc

but, I haven't added the 3rd line /sbin/insmod lp

and it looks like the printer is initialized somewhere at the end of
linux start and just before the login screen (either text or graphical
one).

Now, it looks to me that is one thing remained to solve: an 'offline'
setup configuration by the printer itself. Maybe there is a
misconfigured detail(s) that produces such a beep sound just after the
printer is switched on (its actual default boot mode is Epson LQ2550
compatible that worked here for years, but it didn't produce such beep.
Because, there is a beep playing before LILO started either Linux or NT
(in case of NT started, I noticed that there are two points where it
initializes the printer: the first one is on the opening black screen
where NT checks the hardware, the second is somewhere just before the
login/password screen. Interesting is that Linux seems to initialize the
printer only once: somewhere before the login checkpoint).

Misko

Misko