On Sat, 10 Jun 2000,  Miroslav Skoric wrote about,  Re: RH 6.1 and printer ports =
how?:
> Ray Olszewski wrote:
> >
> > At 06:51 AM 6/7/00 +0000, Richard Adams wrote:
> >
> > >Simply try;
> > >cat filename >/dev/lp0
> > >
> > >Where filename is a small text file.
> >
> > Before you do this, make sure that either you are doing it as root or that
> > the userid you are using has permission to write to /dev/lp0 (i.e., /dev/lp0
> > needs to be mode 666). Modern Linuxes typically set /dev/lp* to 660, with
> > the device owned by root, group lp . This lets lpr/lpd use it but blocks
> > diect dumps by non-privileged users.

I worote cat filename >/dev/lp0
but i think i also said after the module is loaded.
It wil then work as you see.

> There is no possibility to think of the 'cat' command because it seems
>
> That is an action that I don't get when I boot Linux. It looks to me
> that it just tries to do the similar thing like Windoze but it doesn't
> finish it in the right state: after the booting of Linux, my printer
> remains in a position where only 'power' LED is lite (but not 'online'
> and 'paper out') so I am not able to feed it a paper and continue with
> printing.
>
> I was suggested to add some lines:
>
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> options parport_pc io=0x378,0x278 irq=7,auto
>
> into /etc/conf.modules and after I did it, it 'recognized' lp0 port and
> I can make a print page etc. It continues to work until the next re-boot
> of the machine. After doing next re-boot it can't handle the printer
> again.
>
> Any idea?

Yes, it sounds like you are not running kerneld the automatic module
loader, it takes it information from /etc/conf.modules via modprobe.
Or you said no to KMOD while compiling your own kernel.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]