I'd be more inclined to buy into the whitepaper
and the idea behind it if it were not for the fact
that Dell servers continue to come with whatever
random hard drive model and manufacturer Dell can
get at a low price; I don't believe there is any
special evaluation of manufacturers quality and/or
performance, either that or the standards are so
low that every model passes.

I don't know one week to the next what the hard
drive flavor of the week will be when a new server
arrives.

Additionally, as someone who has 500+ servers in
production, we regularly have Dell branded drives
die and if the server is out of warranty, we throw
the same model drive bought off the street into
it.  I have to say I've not had any indication that
the Dell drives have been more reliable, if anything
less reliable since they buy up whatever a
manufacturer is willing to make a deal on at a
given time.

I'm glad this thread came up though, I could have
been in a bad spot if it had not; we have hundreds
of Dell servers and buy third party drives
simply to have as spare parts so when a drive fails
we can throw a new one in immediately instead of
waiting four hours or next day depending on a
server's support contract.  I guess now I have to
buy Dell spare part drives so I don't end up screwed.

David