Quoting Tim Small <t...@seoss.co.uk>:

> Isn't this another reason to ditch hardware RAID controller cards
> entirely?  To be honest - whenever possible, I use Linux's built-in md
> RAID1/5/6/10 instead of proprietary RAID solutions, and use
> Enterprise-grade SATA drives.  This gives me:

Depends on your needs (or clients)...

I have a 2-node cluster of Dell 2900 machines which are configured
as a SAN/NAS, and I'd never do anything but hardware raid on these.

I had a 2-node cluster of Dell 2900 machines which are configured as
a mail cluster (SMTP, POP3/IMAP, antivirus, spam filter, etc), and
I'd never do anything but hardware raid on these.

I've also got got a bunch more Dell servers, such as one that is my
backup SMTP (MX) host, one that does my webmail, one that is for
computation jobs, one that is a print server, and so on.  ALL of these
use software raid...

My web server has hardware raid now, but only because it is running on
the hardware which was my old NAS before I built the above SAN/NAS system.
Otherwise, it wouldn't have hardware raid, but rather software raid...

Your situations may vary, but there are some situations where hardware
raid is still the best solution.  However, those situations are fewer
and fewer each year.  I used to order ALL my PE servers with HW RAID...
No I order maybe 10% with HW RAID.

> So... looking on the bright side, some Gen 11 do support SATA and AHCI,
> so why not just ditch this proprietary stuff altogether?

Well, some people work for clients, and may not be able to.  Some people
might just want the HW RAID for certain applications...  But in many
cases, SW RAID is a better choice today.  That didn't used to be the case
10 years ago, but the times have drastically changed since then...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!