Greetings

I've been stewing on this topic for a while; and waiting/hoping that someone
from Dell would chime in with their perspective.  Now that Howard has
stepped in to present the company position, it is time for me to give some
feedback so that the Dell representatives following the thread see the
diversity of their customers who do not like this HDD compatibility policy.

I manage all the computer systems for a small consulting firm.  As our firm
grew during the early years we realized that we needed a server to make is
most efficient for the staff to work together as a team, be able to backup
all of our data, and for reliability.  We purchased our first Dell server
(PE2600) in early 2004 and installed RHEL3.  I had never run Linux before
and have learned everything from the ground up, hands-on, with a lot of help
from this and the RedHat discussion lists.  I bought Dell because their
server systems had a reputation for being reliable, and there was some
support structure with Linux.  I have always bought Dell desktops and have
rarely had a problem with them.  As our work grew, we added more drives to
that PE2600 to expand our storage; most recently last year.  At the time I
purchased the additional drives (Dec. 2008), Dell no longer offered the same
drive sizes and speeds that I had in this server and I had to go to a
different distributer to get them.  I went to Dell first to get the drives,
and was willing to pay what I knew to be a slight/moderate premium for the
drives, but was turned away.  Apparently our server was already too old for
Dell to provide the drive support.

This same server is still running rock solid and is providing more services
to our staff (remote VPN access) and clients (FTP) than its original purpose
as a file server.  I expect that this server will still continue to run and
be functional to our company for more years to come; however, I recognize
that it is near time to relegate it to backup and secondary duties, and
upgrade my hardware and OS.  I have been planning on purchasing a new Dell
Server (looking at the T610/T710) and have been trying to estimate our needs
in terms of storage space and services for the next 5+ years.  I expect that
our next server purchase will be used for probably a minimum of 5-7 years
before it is replaced.  That is also why I am waiting to make my hardware
purchase after RHEL6 is released.  If my next Dell server includes a H700
controller I am very concerned that if I need additional, or replacement,
drives 4+ years down the line, will Dell still be supplying them or will
they have been dropped from the parts inventory because the server is too
old.  If Dell is going to lock us in to their drives, then can they
guarantee us that those drives will be available 4, 5, or even 7 years
later.  I don't want to have to over-buy storage now, when it isn't needed,
just because it may not be available from Dell later.  And if it isn't
available from Dell when I need it later, I don't want to be telling my
partners that we need to replace our server because we can't get a couple of
spare drives for our perfectly good working server.

I read the white paper referenced in Howard's post.  It presents a very good
case for why Dell might charge a slight/moderate premium for purchasing
drives from them versus another distributer, and I am glad to know that this
level of testing and documentation is done.  However, as I believe someone
has already pointed out, if these drives are so superior to a non-Dell
commodity drive, then Dell should be providing warranties lengths that are
commensurate with this superior quality.  A 1-year warranty on a Dell drive
versus a 3-5 year warranty on a similar model commodity drive doesn't seem
to match the implied quality differences.

I want to make note that I see many good benefits to running a Dell server
for my situation.  I like the OMSA product; it has made it very easy for me
to monitor my server and perform drive upgrades and change hot-spares.  I
like where Dell is going with the firmware updates repository.  It is these
types of things that make it efficient and easy for me (a novice and
part-time system administrator) to manage the system, and has made me
consider staying with a Dell product for my next server purchase.  However,
because our servers live a long life I am having to reconsider the server
options that are available to me in the coming months.  I implore Dell to
reconsider this hardware policy of requiring the use of Dell-only drives.  I
think it is reasonable for a company to restrict support on non-Dell drives,
but please give us users the option of being able to use an equivalent model
commodity drive.  If I have to explain to my partners in 4 or 5 years that
we have to replace our server in order to expand our storage because the
Dell is no longer supplying replacement drives and a commodity drive won't
work, I can already guess that my partners will tell me not to even consider
buying a Dell server as the replacement.

Jeff Boyce
Forest Ecologist
Seattle
www.meridianenv.com