I'm a fan of SW RAID (a motherboard with 3 LVD busses, 2 EIDE busses, and 1 W
bus kind of satisfies our disk IO requirements), but I've being pressured to
buy some HW RAID for our "main" NFS servers.

The suggestion is either AMI 438 (which I was suprised not to see mentioned in
http://linas.org/linux/raid.html) or Mylex 1164 "Extreme".
Would users of those systems (or others) agree with the choice ?
[ we're getting a box with 6 * 4 slot backplanes to hold "hot swap" disks,
  and are thinking of on (or maybe two) backplanes per server, so a single
  LVD bus is likely to keep us happy -- nothing big !
  Probably RAID5 over the 4 disks.
]

I'd prefer to try the "RAID on a stick" approach of RAIDport -- or better
still, a family which had full controllers and RAIDport.

We're not after all out speed, but are interested in "ease of use"
(we currently use DU's LSM which is a delight to use ! domains and individual
filesystems can be resized on the fly without unmounting the FS).