On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Seriously, if anyone can submit a benchmark (bonnie & hdparm -t, or others of your
> choices), that shows a HW RAID that runs faster than SW RAID, on the same disks,
> CPU, memory, board, etc,  I'd be very happy to see it.
>
> I've seen a few examples on this list that showed SW RAID running several _times_
> faster than HW RAID.  But I have yet to see HW running faster than SW.
>
> I'm sure it can be done.  But I'd like to see it.

I'd like to see the results too, if anyone can produce them.  So far, I've
seen massive performance gains by using SW RAID, even RAID 5, which
conventional wisdom says is a major CPU hit.  According to raidtools 0.90,
a P2/350 can do the RAID 5 XOR at almost 900 MB/sec on our hardware.
Since that's over 3 times the main memory bandwidth and about 9 times the
usable bus bandwidth, I'm not very worried about the CPU hit, even if we
started attaching 100 MB/sec disk arrays.

Scott