Osma Ahvenlampi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> > > Hmm? Since when does swapping work on raid-1? How about raid-5?
> > i\'ve tested it on RAID5, swapping madly to a RAID5 array while parity is
> > being reconstructed works just fine.

AFAIK, the swap code uses raw file blocks on disk, rather than passing through
to vfs, cause you dont want to cache swap accesses, think about it :)

this is how swap can work on a partition or a file, cause at swapon time, the
blocks are mapped for direct access.

swap running on raid then, if it works at all, is not actually protecting you.
the swap code in the kern is capable of doing striping automatically if you
have two swap partitions.

i may be completely wrong, but this was mentioned a couple months ago, and the
consensus was that it works, but it is not providing redundancy. hardware raid
seems to be the only way. not swapping is also a good idea.

allan