Hi

I know what "swapoff -a" will do if there is data laying on the
swap-partition; but the intention should be to have _NO_ processes (or
whatever) being swapped out.
At work we got much HP-Workstations and -Servers; everyone got a
swap-partition which is of same size as physical memory (or even
bigger).
But if they begin to swap performance goes down to nearly 0% - even the
HP need swap-partitions for allocating at bootup, but we intend that
they _NEVER_ swap.
Therefore we use much memory on each machine - and we do also on our
linux-machines.

You know what I mean? I think there is no need to spend money for a
second (third) disk to build a raid1-swap (or raid5), because more
memory will be cheaper.
Also, I see the "danger" that a swap-disk fails - but how worse is it if
there is "only" a few kB swap on it?
May - it is just my point of view.

Greetings, Dietmar

--
"For those about to rock - we salute you!"
Dietmar Stein, Systemadministrator UNIX/Linux