Well, the reason we have our systems set to swap on RAID (we use RAID-1) is that this improves our robustness. Even if one of our disks dies then the swap continues to work and the system is still stable. Also, I believe, it is possible to use a RAID-10 to stripe and mirror and actually improve swap performance. With the new SCSI controllers you could probably approach 160MB/s swap speed. Not bad and a heck-of-a-lot better than a single disk at ~20MB/s. I've never tested the performance of this, like I said, we use RAID for increased stability. --Rainer > -----Original Message----- > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Henry J. Cobb > Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 9:00 AM > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > Subject: Swap on RAID > > > Does anybody really want to wait while their swap data is > duplicated out to > multiple disks by a CPU that is working to free up memory to run > applications? > > Isn't Swapping slow enough already? > > Why not simply swap on multiple disks, get Hardware RAID-5 for swap or buy > RAM?