Tom Livingston wrote:

<snip>

> Also, Jan mentioned test speeds from both inner cylinders and outer
> cylinders. 18MB was the number for inner cylinders, which is very close to
> your own number.  Does hdparm -tT /dev/hdc test from the inner or outer
> cylinders?  If it starts from block 0, it will be reading from the inner
> ones, no?
<snip>
You're thinking CD. Think Vinyl instead.
Most HD manufacturers do block 0 on the outer side, then travel to thje
last block, that is on the innermost cylinder (physical cylinder, not
that DOS crap). I only know of one current drive that does it slightly
different: An IBM notebook 2.5" HD goes from outside (fast) to inside
(slow) with about 2/3 of it's capacity, then goes to the outside (fast)
again.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)