I have done some performance studies at work.  As everyone is doing we
are looking at the trend of 9GB -> 18GB -> 36GB -> 72GB -> xxxGB driven
by increased demand for data storage.  The measured trend is an overall
performance decrease.  My guess is that major drive manufacturers will
not be phasing out smaller capacity/higher performing drives any time
soon.  Rather offer a large capacity line for the data hungry, and a
fast performance line for the critical response oriented.

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.