At 12:33 PM 10/21/1999 -0500, Stephen Waters wrote:
>i've found that software compression (with our cheesy seagate backup
>exec s/w anyway..) compresses better than hardware because it is able to
>reorganize the data in a more compressible manner rather than the drive
>just compressing whatever hits the buffer.
>we average just under 18GB per tape w/ full compression, although i have
>seen instances where it would hit 20GB. it's extremely data dependant i
>would expect.

I have an Exabyte 8505XL on an adaptec 2940UW.  It is set to hardware
compression, but if the SW compression is better, do I just need to turn HW
compression on the drive off to use SW compression?
Thanks,
Dave

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Packet: N5XMT@KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!