Francisco Jose Montilla wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Thomas Seidel wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
> > Here is the output of df -k:
> > Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> > /dev/md0             5916736  811879  4798422     14%   /
> > /dev/md1             3106031   41673  2903712      1%   /var
> > /dev/sda1            83561123 11922926  67127549     15%   /data
> >
> > To backup I use:
> > mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> > mf -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 2
> > dump 0uBf 96000000 /dev/nst0 /
> > dump 0uBf 96000000 /dev/nst0 /var
> > dump 0uBf 96000000 /dev/nst0 /data
> >
> > The third dump stops at 97% with "end of tape". The sum of the used blocks of
> > the filesystems is about 12 GB.
>
>         That's right. It seems that you aren't really setting compression
> on, the math is clear :)
>
>         I'd check the jumpers to see if the unit allows hardware
> compression to be set by software. Check either hp.com for this or the
> unit documentation. Once you're sure that the unit allows it, use mt-dds
> to set it. I found that mt-st don't do it properly...

from the mt manpage... if you set the count to 1 after setting the
compression it should give you a status of the compression...

# mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 2
# mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 1

datcompression
     (some SCSI-2 DAT tapes) Inquire or set the compres­
     sion  status (on/off). If the count is one the com­
     pression status is printed. If the count  is  zero,
     compression  is disabled. Otherwise, compression is
     enabled. The command uses the SCSI  ioctl  to  read
     and write the Data Compression Characteristics mode
     page (15). ONLY ROOT CAN USE THIS COMMAND.