On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Thomas Seidel wrote:

        Hi,

[...]
> >     I'd check the jumpers to see if the unit allows hardware
> > compression to be set by software. Check either hp.com for this or the
> > unit documentation. Once you're sure that the unit allows it, use mt-dds
> > to set it. I found that mt-st don't do it properly...
>
> (consulting www.hp.com): The dip switches are set to 'compression enabled at
> power-on, with host control'. Without host control the result is the same. A

        You *must* enable host control. But trust me, get a copy of mt-dds
(the package is named dds2tar, check
ftp://ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de/pub/unix/apollo or freshmeat) and try using
it to set compression:

mt-dds -f /dev/nst0 comp-on

check its actually set:

mt-dds -f /dev/nst0 comp-query

This package includes some other utilities that seems to be interesting,
for fast seeking and extracting. It seems to work only with tar, though...

> 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/tape' when dump asks for the next volume

        mmm... use something like

        dd if=/dev/zero of=dev/nst0 bs=1048

        That way, when dd finally reports XXXX records, you can see
how much Megs have fitted onto the tape by dividing by 1000...

> complains about end of tape, too. 'mt -f /dev/nst0 tell' shows about
> 1,200,000 blocks written. I hate it... How can I compress with SW when I
> use dump? With 'dump 0uBf 96000000 - | gzip | dd of=/dev/nst0' ?? IMHO
> restore -i will not work with this...

        hmmm. I guess no... You have to take into account that you're
risking the archive by using gzip... better use a block compressor, like
bzip2.

        But trust me, you can set hardware compression and won't need
those. :) Try with mt-dds...

        good luck,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org