Matthew Clark wrote:

> Is there much info available on setting up Hardware RAID?  Most info seems
> to be on Software (obvious reasons).. However - as you probably noticed, I'm
> having problems with my Hardware RAID and need to sort it ASAP..
>
> I was thinking about moving to kernel 2.2.13 but the parts of the kernel
> that may have an effect on MegaRAID Hardware performance (i.e. pci.*,
> megaraid.*, sym3c98xx.* etc) havn't been updated...
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthew Clark.
> --
> NetDespatch Ltd - The Internet Call Centre.
> http://www.netdespatch.com

I initailly purchased an AMI MegaRAID four or so months ago and saw
horible performance.  I tried a DPT at that time as well before
setteling on a Mylex eXtremeRAID card.  The AMI and DPT seem to both be
hindered by what I can only speculate as to slow of a sub processor,
their i960s.  The Mylex uses a 233Mhz StrongARM processor.  I see
numbers that are more in harmony with software raid with this card where
with the other two I saw performance that was more like a slow 5400 rpm
ide drive with little cache.  As far as my tests showed, if you need
performance, software is the way to go.  If you need the reliability of
hardware raid, then the Mylex card was the way to go.

I have numbers for all my tests that I could dig up if wanted.
--
Brian D. Haymore
University of Utah

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Phone: (801) 585-1755 - Fax: (801) 585-5366