In a message dated 3/31/00 5:17:06 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Use tape!  Raid shouldn't replace tapes, they serve different (but
>sometimes similar) purposes.
I agree. I just bought a 50 gig native tape backup drive ($3700) to back up
my raid array. I didn't have any luck when I did tar cvf /dev/st0 /     as
there are a couple of files that I think exist on / by itself except that tar
takes out the leading / and these files had no place to go so the tar exited.
I think there is a way to include the leading / but I didn't know if this was
dangerous to do.
gary hostetler