You are missing that nasty "--absolute-paths" ("-P") switch on tar to
preserve the leading slash.  It may or may not be what you want.  In
general, a better approach is to tell tar to make a particular directory
the current directory before executing, using the "--directory" ("-C")
switch.  For example, if you mount what you want be the root fs after the
restore onto /restore during the restoration process, you can do something
like "tar -xpf /dev/st0 --directory /restore" to accomplish this.

-- Mike