On Fri, 26 May 2000, Darren Evans wrote:

> Having spent a considerable amount of time trying to
> ascertain the stability of vinum under FreeBSD, i'm not
> confident in using it on a production box.
>
> I don't know much (at the moment about Linux Software RAID),
> but would like to hear people's experience.
>
> It's a RAID 5 solution that interests me running with
> a SMP kernel.

In my opinion Linux SW Raid is very stable. However, SW raid
stresses SCSI to its limit and any tiny error in the hardware
will show up very quickly. Also, not all drivers handle
the situation when a disk dies, they hang up the bus. As far
as I know the NCR/Symbios- and AIC7xxx-driver will not
hang up the bus. ECC-Ram is also a must.

> As far as I can ascertain there are 2 RAID packages.
> LVM and the raidtools package and patches.  Which is
> better, which is more stable?

Those are two completely different things.

Holger