> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Or Gerlitz <or.gerl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sean, Tzahi -- I understand now that there have been few talkings @
> > the OFA meeting re this patch set. So what's the way to move forward,
> > any concrete feedback that needs to be addressed here?  This series is
> > hanging since May 2012 and I'd like to see it gets in for 3.10, now if
> > indeed Sean is OK with the general framework, please suggest.
>
> Sean,
>
> I understand that following some conversations help at the OFA
> meetings you kind of took back the concerns you raised regarding the
> concept of the verbs level QP group which is used by this series to
> implement RSS and TSS, can you acknoledge that?

No - I agree with the RSS/TSS concept.  That I've never had an issue with.  My
issue is that the current verbs API appears to be a poor fit.  I don't have a
good answer for an alternative.

Conceptually, RSS/TSS are a set of send/receive work queues all belonging to
the same transport level address.  There's no parent-child relationship or
needed pairing of send and receive queues together in order to form a group.

Personally, I'd like to see a way that better captures the notion of a 'set of
work queues with the same address'.  For example, it makes more sense to me if
a user created/destroyed the work queues together, and if the WQs were viewed
as being in a single state (INIT, RTR, RTS...).

I'm just thinking out loud here, hoping that it spurs ideas, but if we added a
call like:

struct ib_qp *ib_create_wq_array/set/group(...);

then added the ability to specify which WQ a specific send or receive should be
posted to, it may do a better job of capturing RSS/TSS concepts, but still make
use of the existing calls.  (Underneath this, the driver can allocate actual
QPs  with sequential QPNs or whatever is required, but that's not exposed.)
Obviously, I haven't thought through specifics.

I'll try to meet up with Diego and Tzahi tonight or tomorrow to discuss this
further.

- Sean