On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 02:01:10AM -0700, Ivan Kozic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems that no one really cares about AW pack tools enough to document at
> least a part of it. By Allwinner pack tools I mean various Linux/Windows
> proprietary SW coming from AW, like "dragon", "update_mbr", "update_23" etc.
>
> Since I'm on a good way to figure a part of this out, I'd like to add it to
> the linux-sunxi.org if possible, so that everyone can use it, and not lose
> days and days finding various SDKs and BSPs only to figure that half of it
> is not working...

Hi Ivan,
Last week I went through call of duty to create working LiveSuit image
for my Cubietruck. I asked about some things that are not clear to me
here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/linux-sunxi/N301MZXe6AM/zLUgZgwkCQAJ

and here:

http://www.cubieforums.com/index.php/topic,3887.msg24181.html#msg24181

but not much interest in this topic.

> Actually the biggest problem is that none of this is documented and these
> programs usually do not give you any version or help. And there are at
> least 5 different "dragon" versions I've tried - some of them work with
> image.cfg + sys_partition.fex, while some of them only seem to use more
> advanced image.cfg format and not really needing sys_partition.fex. I've
> also noticed that there are different versions of update_mbr for A10 and
> A20 - one seems to only put softw311 marker, while the other one works with
> softw411 marker. Also some of them can pack by only following symbolic
> links to rootfs, while others actually need rootfs.fex in the same folder.
> Mixes in SDKs can include anything - I've found combos like 'new dragon +
> old update_mbr', which mess up always and produce unreadable images...
> sunxi-bsp set of tools on the other hand looks very broken to me, as there
> is no A20 support per say - there are script files for A20 boards, but
> allwinner-tools used by sunxi-bsp only produce images suited for A10
> (softw311) and maybe A13 (these are the only two in the eFex configuration
> files)...

Agree. sunxi-bsp doesn't work for A20. I extracted some parts from
dl.cubieboard.org image but this cause:

update mbr: partcount = 4
update mbr file ok
fsbuild error. The size if filesystem must more than 855k  now is 128
fsbuild failed 338

> I would also like to point out that most info regarding MBR structure is
> now well known (for A20 - boot1 source code contains wboot_mbr.h header
> which has the packed MBR layout), so I think update_mbr can already be
> deprecated and changed to a better suited open-source version. If I had any
> +time,  I'd happily write this out and try it...
>
> As I said, wiki pages on linux-sunxi are just making things worse by not
> really explaining any of this and yet somehow making everything even more
> complicated (just look at Software section under
> http://linux-sunxi.org/LiveSuit_images - I have no idea what is the point
> of that section).
> So I'd just like to know how I can (or if I may in fact) change/append to
> linux-sunxi.org?

I'm also interested in supporting this effort. Can offer testing on
Cubietruck and writing some articles.

Thanks,
--
Piotr Król