> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:50:23 +0200 (CEST)
> Guennadi Liakhovetski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> see
> | >
> | > Below is my current version of the patch. No idea in how far it is
> | > generically acceptable... Works for me.
> |
> | At last I tried another usb-serial adapter (pl2303) without the patch
> | below - login on ttyUSB0 (while having console configured) works. So, the
> | patch below is wrong, the problem indeed is somewhere in ftdi_sio. OTOH,
> | with pl2303 the whole boot-log is corrupted. Looks like the baudrate is
> | not configured. But, I guess, with the switch to drivers/serial everything
> | will change anyway, so, makes no sense to debug those problems further
> | now.

Your patch is necessary to be correct because
it locks the module on the first normal open.
(even if pl2303 can run without it)

I believe the original problem was that the lines

   tty->driver_data = port;
   port->tty = tty;

were originally inside the same conditional as the
module locking. In your tree these have been moved
outside of the conditional. (2.6.17 still has these
lines inside the conditional)

So running against vanilla 2.6.17, the pl2303 would
fail also.

--

As for the initial console rate mismatch on pl2303:

pl2303_set_termios requires a private initialization flag
to be set (priv->termios_initialized) or it will
default to 9600 N81 instead of using the termios
settings supplied by usb_console_setup.

--
Paul Fulghum
Microgate Systems, Ltd