On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 13:14, michael - (mike) brooker wrote:
> Hi,       As yet I am not a LINUX user. First I want to find out the
> best (read easiest) format to use, eg. REDHAT, X, or whatever.
>
> So, will someone please point me in the right direction?
> Where do I download the free Linux?
> Is there a site with an internet download?
> Or do I need to download set-up discs?
> I'm running win98 on a celeron chip. I have a 40 gig HDD, and 128 RAM -
> and limited computer intelligence. Well, not too low!
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> mike brooker

Mike, welcome to Linux. The LUG and google are great for sorting Linux
problems. Better still is a friend with Linux experience. If you've got
one of these then go with the distro they're comfortable with.

Later when you've got a handle on the basics you can install the distro
of your choice. My best advice would be to keep all your user data, aka
/home directory, on its own partition.

Good luck,
--
Rob Stockley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>