Christopher Sawtell wrote:
On Wednesday 07 January 2009 10:18:20 Roger Searle wrote:
Good morning, on a random basis, not too frequently, and unrelated to
anything I can put my finger on, the title bars of all windows on my
gnome desktop (ubuntu 8.10) are missing.  This will happen on logging
in, I can't say if logging out and back in, or restarting X prior to
logging back in fixes it, since each time it happens (iirc) and I log
out to try, I get an unresponsive system that has to be power cycled, as
did happen today.

It's somewhat annoying, and am wondering if anyone has experienced this
and know of the cure.  Compiz is running, I've not located a setting
that seems to have an impact on this and will rectify.  Perhaps it's
just a little buggy and is as good as it gets for now . . .

Cheers,
Roger

It would be interesting to know if this happens if Compiz is turned off.
I have had similar issues with the Kwin stuff.

Also what is the version of X, the video card and its driver that your are using?

It _may_ be relevant that there were some X related updates released today.
Have you installed them? ( you'll have to log out of your account and re-start X for them to have an effect. ) --
With Sincerity,
Christopher Sawtell
compiz is running automatically, I do see though that I have an option to restart the window manager which I will try next time. Those updates released today will get installed tomorrow and I guess time will tell as to whether this helps or not.

How do I tell what version of X I am running?

Cheers,
Roger