Christopher Sawtell wrote:
On Wednesday 07 January 2009 10:18:20 Roger Searle wrote:
Good morning, on a random basis, not too frequently, and unrelated to
anything I can put my finger on, the title bars of all windows on my
gnome desktop (ubuntu 8.10) are missing.  This will happen on logging
in, I can't say if logging out and back in, or restarting X prior to
logging back in fixes it, since each time it happens (iirc) and I log
out to try, I get an unresponsive system that has to be power cycled, as
did happen today.

It's somewhat annoying, and am wondering if anyone has experienced this
and know of the cure.  Compiz is running, I've not located a setting
that seems to have an impact on this and will rectify.  Perhaps it's
just a little buggy and is as good as it gets for now . . .

Cheers,
Roger

It would be interesting to know if this happens if Compiz is turned off.
I have had similar issues with the Kwin stuff.

Also what is the version of X, the video card and its driver that your are using?

It _may_ be relevant that there were some X related updates released today.
Have you installed them? ( you'll have to log out of your account and re-start X for them to have an effect. ) --
With Sincerity,
Christopher Sawtell

According to apt-get upgrade I am fully patched. By a nice co-incidence I experienced the same issue of the disappearing title bar this morning. Choosing "reload window manager" from the compiz fusion applet (applications -> system tools) resolves it. So it's definitely a compiz-related thing for me. Video card is GeForce 8600 GT, dual screen. nvidia drivers 169.12.

ro...@mercury:~$ X -version

This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
It is not supported in any way.
Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.

X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ubuntu9.2) Current Operating System: Linux mercury 2.6.24-22-generic #1 SMP Mon Nov 24 19:35:06 UTC 2008 x86_64
Build Date: 13 June 2008  01:10:57AM

   Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present