On Fri, 24 May 2002 19:07:19 +1000
Keith Antoine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 24 May 2002 17:19, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 May 2002 21:28:27 -0700
>
> > I only encounter them when doing an upgrade. All this really dumb
> > confusion of /opt/kde vs. /opt/kde2, and $HOME/.kde vs. $HOME/.kde2
> > and $KDEDIR vs. $KDEDIRS and Desktop vs. Desktop2. This is a big
> > part of what keeps screwing up the config files...
> >
> > In a kde2-only system, why are both needed? Is Caldera the only one
> > that has both sets of things?
>
> Suse has /opt/kde2 and /opt/kde3 in $HOME there is .kde and .kde2 only one
> desktop plus $KDEDIR.

So is keeping an /opt/kde with a few mysterious items in it, as well as
an /opt/kde2 with the actual KDE2 a Caldera thing? And what about $KDEDIRS ?

If you don't ever have KDE1 installed (like a new Caldera 3.x install), then
what is the point of KDEDIR pointing to where KDE is NOT installed but
instead to a place that contains a few old relics present on the system for
no documented reason? As Calders compile everything froms scratch in their
distro (right?), what would want/need a place separate from where KDE2 is
installed?

If I later install a new KDE, then I place them elsewhere. But I am only
wondering about the original install of a single version of KDE2.

--
| Roger Oberholtzer          |   E-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |