On Fri, 24 May 2002 05:38:37 -0400
dep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> begin  Roger Oberholtzer's  quote:
>
> | I only encounter them when doing an upgrade. All this really dumb
> | confusion of /opt/kde vs. /opt/kde2, and $HOME/.kde vs. $HOME/.kde2
> | and $KDEDIR vs. $KDEDIRS and Desktop vs. Desktop2. This is a big
> | part of what keeps screwing up the config files...
> |
> | In a kde2-only system, why are both needed? Is Caldera the only one
> | that has both sets of things?
>
> no, suse does some stuff with them which defies rational explanation.
> i suspect that part of the reason i've had great success with kde is
> that i do not try to do things with multiple versions on the same
> machine at the same time. that way lies madness.
>
> instead, i have three symlinks: /opt/kde, which points to whatever kde

I do this as well. What makes this tricky on Caldera is that they have an
/opt/kde and an /opt/kde2. When installing a new KDE in, say, /opt/kde3,
which should point at it: /opt/kde (of course not) or /opt/kde2 ? If you
redirect the distro's /opt/kde2 to your /opt/kde3, what to do with /opt/kde?
I usually just let it be. But I think it, along with the KDEDIR/KDEDIRS
duality, is a source of problems. Many programs want to use KDEDIR, which
is not pointing to the distro. Only KDEDIRS does. Resulting in configuration
inconsistencies.

> i'm using; /usr/lib/qt, which points to the qt appropriate to the kde
> in use; and ~/.kde, which points to my kde configuration files. when
> trying new versions, i change these symlinks to point to the new
> stuff, with ~/.kde being a copy of my old configuration files. if
> some application fails to work because of the guys didn't keep config
> file backward compatibility, i nuke it and let it build a new one
> which i then modify as needed. this way i can test new versions while
> keeping the old version pristine such that i can return to it; when
> the new version is stable, i switch entirely to it. (truth is, i've
> never had to go back much and certainly never for long.)
>
> there are those who would rather employ the elaborate recipes that
> purport to allow kde-1.x, kde-2.x, and kde-3.x stuff to run at once.
> these are imho highly questionable. also, i doubt that they work
> reliably. my brute-force method works every time.

I go for the one at a time as well. I just think that it is harder to make
it look like there is only one when there are two directories in /opt.

--
| Roger Oberholtzer          |   E-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |