On Tuesday 04 June 2002 12:30 am, Keith Antoine wrote:
> I stuff this up everytime because I have no understanding of the process.
> It is the problem of setting the $QTDIR. I have placed this in .profile::
>
> QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
> PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
> MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> But when I go to ./configure it tells me that I have the $QTDIR set
> wrongly.
>
> Waht is wrong, by the way i did this out of the instructions.

Keith, life is much simpler if you use a script to do the compilation. That
way you can set up QTDIR etc. in the script and when you run it they will be
set correctly for the shell running the script without affecting or being
affected by QTDIR... settings used elsewhere. This means that you can compile
qt3 while running kde2 (which needs QTDIR as /usr/lib/qt2). For example:

-------------snip here-------------
#!/bin/bash
# buildqt3 script for EW3.1

QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3      #where qt3 lives
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=/usr/doc/qt3
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
cd $QTDIR
make -f Makefile.cvs

#watch out for linewrapping in the following..
cstr="-system-zlib -qt-gif -system-libpng -system-libjpeg -thread \
-plugin-imgfmt-mng -no-stl -no-xinerama -no-g++-exceptions -enable-xml"

./configure $cstr

make