On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 09:13:07AM -0500, Robert Black Eagle wrote:
..
>I think the US' record of "establishing deceng government(s)" is a bit poor.
>We put in the Taliban.  We established the dictatorship of the Shah in Iran
>(and we see where that led)...

Bad example.  The Shah was attempting to bring Iran into the 20th century,
impreve the education of his people, and generally turn Iran around from a
backwards religious state.  My brother-in-law, Mohammed, was minister of
all vocational education in Iran under the Shah for about ten years before
the Shah fell.  Fortunately he, my sister, and their two children were in
the U.S. when Khomeni took over so weren't imprisoned and killed at the
time.  Yes, the Shah's secret police were less than nice, but a head of
state in that part of the world didn't survive very long by being Jimmy-
Carter style nice guys.

I always thought that the perhaps Shah's biggest problem was his
educational programs created a large number of sophomores, people who were
educated enough to think they knew all the answers, but without the real-
world experience to augment their book learning.

Bill

``People who relieve others of their money with guns are called robbers. It
does not alter the immorality of the act when the income transfer is
carried out by government.''