On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:38:27 -0800 Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/13/2002 06:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it all started with a strange oops on reboot,
> and finally, as rebooting
>
> Strange oops?  Don't suppose you've got a copy
> of it, do you?

Unfortunately, no, and since I can't get it to boot, I can't reproduce it.
> > Anyone know how I might restore my table,
> with data?
>
> This sounds like hardware failure.  At this
> point, restoring anything
> without verifying the sanity of your hardare is
> an exercise in futility.

Darn.  I already lost one hard disk, and this was to be its replacement.  It
seemed to work fine.

> > And, slightly related, what's a relatively
> cheap, reliable backup solution?
> > This is the second time I've been without my
> data this month (the first time
> > the disk blew on me), so I guess I'm not
> really learning my lesson :0
>
> Is tar cheap enough for you? ;)
>
> It depends on what you want to spend, how much
> data you need to back up,
> and how often you want to back it up.

I'd like a separate physical form of media.  Might a USB hard disk be what I'm
looking for?  All four hard disks are currently being used for different
things, one is my boot disk, and I don't trust it for anything but that (it
generally works, but if I were to do anything really intensive-), then the
Linux disk, and then the two Windows disks are in a JBOD array.

                   Thanks

                   Bob Raymond