On 11/13/2002 06:52 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:38:27 -0800 Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 11/13/2002 06:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

Hi,

it all started with a strange oops on reboot,
and finally, as rebooting

Strange oops?  Don't suppose you've got a copy
of it, do you?

Unfortunately, no, and since I can't get it to boot, I can't reproduce it.
Well, if you've got a different bootable box, you could always attach the drive, and attempt to mount the partition, and read the data.

Anyone know how I might restore my table,
with data?

This sounds like hardware failure. At this
point, restoring anything without verifying the sanity of your hardare is
an exercise in futility.

Darn.  I already lost one hard disk, and this was to be its replacement.  It
seemed to work fine.
Well, since you were using a 2.5.x kernel, i suppose it could be some crazy kernel bug that made your drive into swiss cheese. Is the replacement drive identical to the original? I wonder if its a bad batch of drives. At any rate, if you're certain of the exact partition sizes & boundaries, then you could always recreate them, and your data, if its still there at all, should be intact.

And, slightly related, what's a relatively
cheap, reliable backup solution?
This is the second time I've been without my
data this month (the first time

the disk blew on me), so I guess I'm not
really learning my lesson :0

Is tar cheap enough for you? ;)

It depends on what you want to spend, how much
data you need to back up, and how often you want to back it up.

I'd like a separate physical form of media.  Might a USB hard disk be what I'm
looking for?  All four hard disks are currently being used for different
things, one is my boot disk, and I don't trust it for anything but that (it
generally works, but if I were to do anything really intensive-), then the
Linux disk, and then the two Windows disks are in a JBOD array.
A JBOD for windoze? That's the most unique usage i've ever heard for a JBOD. Anyway, i'd recommend against using volitile media as backup storage. All it takes is a mechanical failure to lose your backups. Depending on how much data you need to backup, you could go with something as simple as CDRW's, or a tapes. Sure, you'll need to purchase a tape drive if you've got a very significant amount of data, but its still the most dependable, scalable backups methods around.