On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:55:51 -0800 Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/13/2002 08:41 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
> > CDRW's have a habit of getting left out
> around here.  Then the cats walk over
> > them, they get really dusty, etc., and I lose
> data.  Can you recommend a tape
> > drive?  Oh, and is that for IDE or SCSI?  If
> IDE, might a tape drive work on a
> > RAID controller?  I'm out of spots on the
> standard, non-RAID IDE, but have
> > room for another 5 devices on the Highpoint
> 374.
>
> Tape drives don't care what kind of device is
> feeding them the data, so
> IDE or SCSI is irrelevant.  Or were you asking
> if the tape drive was IDE
> or SCSI?  If so, then i'd put my money on a
> SCSI tape drive.

That's what I meant, but I guess I'd need a SCSI controller, and I'm clueless
there as well.

> You can't plug a tape drive into a RAID
> controller, unless you want the
> slowest RAID array in creation.  As for good
> tape drives, HP makes some
> nice ones, so does SONY.  DDS3 or DDS4 drives
> should be in your budget.
>   There's also AIT, but i think they're a bit
> more expensive.  And if
> you really want to splurge (like $600 and up)
> there's Ecrix, who make
> some of the best, most dependable tapes &
> drives in the undustry (and
> they offer excellent Linux support too).

OK, I'll look into that.  Do you know of any good retailers (pref. online)?

And back to the original question.  Is there any chance of recovering the
partition table?  If I don't have the data to back up, there's not too much
sense having something to back it up to.

                       thanks

                       Bob Raymond