On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:12:19 -0800 Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, if you've got a different bootable box,
> you could always attach
> the drive, and attempt to mount the partition,
> and read the data.

Unfortunately, the only Linux box in the house is mine.  I just checked the
Windoze "Disk Management" thingie, and it reports three "unknown partitions"
of the right sizes.  The only thing that doesn't work is the 2.5.44-ac2 kernel
and the 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 kernel on the rescue CD.

> >>with data?
> >>
> >>This sounds like hardware failure.  At this
> >>point, restoring anything
> >>without verifying the sanity of your hardare
> is
> >>an exercise in futility.
> >

> > Darn.  I already lost one hard disk, and this
> was to be its replacement.  It
> > seemed to work fine.
>
> Well, since you were using a 2.5.x kernel, i
> suppose it could be some
> crazy kernel bug that made your drive into
> swiss cheese.  Is the
> replacement drive identical to the original?  I
> wonder if its a bad
> batch of drives.  At any rate, if you're
> certain of the exact partition
> sizes & boundaries, then you could always
> recreate them, and your data,
> if its still there at all, should be intact.

The replacement drive is three months newer, and pulled from a working system
and sold on Ebay.  It's an identical model.  The first time around, I
hotplugged the power switch, fried the logic board, so I swapped logic boards,
copied the data onto a 40GB drive (now with Windoze), reswapped the logic
boards, and copied back to the Ebay 60GB.  The kernel has been relatively
stable, but I was rebooting mainly because for some reason the thing wasn't
printing, and I couldn't think of anything else to do (plus I had an aching
desire to game a bit).

> > I'd like a separate physical form of media.
> Might a USB hard disk be what I'm
> > looking for?  All four hard disks are
> currently being used for different
> > things, one is my boot disk, and I don't
> trust it for anything but that (it
> > generally works, but if I were to do anything
> really intensive-), then the
> > Linux disk, and then the two Windows disks
> are in a JBOD array.
>
> A JBOD for windoze?  That's the most unique
> usage i've ever heard for a
> JBOD.

Audio edits take huge amounts of space, and I haven't found a Goldwave clone
for Linux yet.  I'm doing fine with my 2 40GB drives operating as an 80GB.  If
it makes you feel any better, they are IBM Deathstars- a 60GXP and a 120GXP.

> Anyway, i'd recommend against using
> volitile media as backup
> storage.  All it takes is a mechanical failure
> to lose your backups.
> Depending on how much data you need to backup,
> you could go with
> something as simple as CDRW's, or a tapes.
> Sure, you'll need to
> purchase a tape drive if you've got a very
> significant amount of data,
> but its still the most dependable, scalable
> backups methods around.

I usually keep around 10-20GB per OS around (and no, I can't lose the audio
files under WindeXP).  You'd recommend CDRW's? I've lost more data from them
than from these two hard disks.  What sort of prices would I be looking at
with tape?  Anything above, say, $300-$350 is just way too much.