Sorry for the delay in replying.  My bootup messages identify the camera as
device sda1.  I mount it with the following line in fstab:
/dev/sda1   /mnt/camera    vfat    user,noauto 0 0

I am using kernel 2.4.19 with the following modules built into the kernel:
usb-core
EHCI
UHCI
usb-storage

Since going with the new kernel and using USB2 camera is working very well.