Joel Hammer wrote:
Does knoppix have cdrecord  and mkisofs on it? If so, I can tell you how I do it.
Basically, like this:
cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX215E1 ' 'SYS2' Removable CD-ROM

If you get this, then the following should work:

mkisofs -r -J -o /home/jlh/cdimage/TIFs /mnt/hdb/10/Prostate
Where /mnt/hdb/10/Prostate is the directory with the stuff to burn and TIFs
is the name of the iso9660 file to be created.
Then, burn it with:
cdrecord  -v speed=1 dev=0,0,0  -data  /home/jlh/cdimage/TIFs
Joel: thanks.  The problem I anticipate is creating a directory for mkisofs to store the image file.
The computer in question  only has one HD, and AFAIK has only Win 98 occupying  all available drive  real estate.

Knoppix has XCDRoast, ergo the necessary support files are on board, but of course XCDRoast can't be configured because I can't write to the Knoppix CD.

(To recapitulate the problem: I'm trying to see if I can use Knoppix to rescue files from a crapped out Win 98 install by burning them to a CD)

--
Leon A. Goldstein