Not a problem if the box has enough resources.  XCDroast doesn't require that you save
the settings, does it?  So long as you have the resources, aren't you able to
Burn-On-The-Fly?  That would alleviate the need for large RW HD space for an image.
If you HAVE to create an image, just remount the partition Read/Write ( # mount -o
remount,rw /mnt/hda2 )

I don't use XCDRoast any more, loving KreateCD and intrigued by K3b.

HTH