Matthew Carpenter wrote:
Not a problem if the box has enough resources.  XCDroast doesn't require that you save
the settings, does it?  So long as you have the resources, aren't you able to
Burn-On-The-Fly?  That would alleviate the need for large RW HD space for an image.  If
you HAVE to create an image, just remount the partition Read/Write ( # mount -o
remount,rw /mnt/hda2 )

I don't use XCDRoast any more, loving KreateCD and intrigued by K3b.

HTH

Knoppix 3.1 has XCDroast .98alpha10.  It does indeed have a master and burn on the fly option.
Setup insists on a path for the image nonetheless.  I selected Knoppix's /tmp just to satisfy it.
XCDRoast then ran, and copied my files, but they are just files  - the directory structure is gone.

Although XCDRoast worked in this test, after a fashion, I'll stick with Gcombust for the rescue scenario
that prompted this project in the first place.

--
Leon A. Goldstein