On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Michael Hipp wrote:
> http://rhl.redhat.com/about/faq/
>
> This whole thing smacks of "We have no interest in you unless you're a
> deep pockets enterprise that will throw money at us in basketfuls."
>
> A year or two from now, will there even be a RHL that has documentation,
> support, security updates, QA testing, etc. etc.?

sure, its called their enterprise product line (RHAS, RHES, etc).  Believe
it or not, lesss than 10% of Redhat's revenue came from the retail boxed
version, yet more than 10% of their expenditures were devoted to the
retail boxed version.  They're cutting their losses, which will ensure
that there is a Redhat a year or two from now.

> In the end, how will RHL be any different than the other hundred
> half-baked volunteer distro projects?
>
> Somebody tell me I've got this all wrong.

You've got this all wrong.  I'm not wildly crazy about redhat's plans
either, but they need to do what will ensure that they exist years from
now.  Losing money on retail sales (from both ends of the candle) isn't
going to keep them afloat.  I'd say what's far more likely is that SuSE
ends up following in Redhat's footsteps within the next 9-12 months.
Hell, that's technically what the whole United Linux initiative was all
about until it fell apart.