There was a lot of correspondence generated by that essay.
It would be nice if all linux advocates bothered to learn to use correct English grammar and spelling, but, such is life.
Of more interest was the claim by one fellow that their switch to linux worked great until a couple of guys left who knew linux and then everything fell apart. He even claimed they got hit by viruses.
Now, how can viruses affect linux if you are running the boxes properly?
This one fellow sounded like he worked for a company that didn't have procedure manuals. In my place of work, a hospital, we have procedure manuals for every conceivable task.
IT SEEMS TO ME that MS is giving linux a great opening for at least three reasons:
1. MS is still expensive.
2. MS is still insecure.
3. MS is getting nonstandard. This isn't talked about much, but there are so many version of MS out there (I still use Windows 95 for my desktop machine, works fine.) that windows is in danger of losing that which makes windows so desirable, standardization. There are even different versions of powerpoint for different versions of windows. This is not making MS look good. However, MS makes its money by selling software, and so it has to keep changing its software and forcing its users to upgrade, both software and hardware. MS generated 16 billion in free cash flow in the last 12 months. Their strategy is working fine. I guess people don't see that as excessive. However, imagine if linux could be understood by CEO's to offer a more stable and standard platform than windows. Imagine, Mr. CEO, no more being forced to upgrade because MS needs more money. Upgrade only when you want to and can afford to. Sounds like a good sales pitch to me.
Joel

Collins Richey wrote:

Even though entitled with the eggregious GNU/linux moniker, this is a
really great article:

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/09/12/1733209

What makes it even better, is the article is squeezed between Microsoft
ads <chuckle>.