On Mon, Sep 15, 2003, Joel Hammer wrote:

>Our very large hospital system (5 hospitals) is an all windows shop,
>except for systems bought from and maintained by outside vendors, like
>a pathology or radiology system. All desktop OS's and software used by
>individuals is MS. I believe our servers are also MS.

Have these hospital people heard of HIPPA (sp)?  Do they know that anybody
with a bit of knowledge can get anything off a Windows who has access to it
via a network?

>So, having cheap IS people may look good on the IS budget, but, my
>experience is that cheap IS people are very expensive. But, the losses
>caused by such people appear on other people's budgets.

I did a major development job for Microrim about 12 years ago, writing a
converter from their old R:Base to R:Base 3.0, and my hourly rate was
almost double what they were paying other consultants.  I did all the
development under SCO Xenix, cross-compiling for DOS.  At the end of the
project, the folks at Microrim said that I was the least expensive person
they had doing development because what I wrote generally worked the first
time, and I didn't introduce a ton of bugs every time they changed the
specfications.  People who really know and understand what they're doing
are often able to diagnose and fix problems in far less time than the
``inexpensive'' people who only learned enough to pass a certification
test.

Bill

Few skills are so well rewarded as the ability to convince parasites that
they are victims. -- Thomas Sowell