On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 08:52:37PM +0800, Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> Actually, I have to say that in certain cases, it *is* cheaper and even
> more stable to run Microsoft than Linux or Solaris, or any kind of UNIX.
> It's generally easier to find a Sys Admin who is familiar with Windows
> than someone who is familiar with UNIX. You can't swing a dead cat in a
> roomful of technical professionals without hitting a Windows person --
> in fact, probably everyone in the room is a Windows person, if you live
> in Singapore or any part of Southeast Asia. That person is more likely
> to be able to setup a secure Windows server and apply patches all day
> everyday (in fact, that's probably what he does, besides trying to chat

I think Asia is a bit different from the USA. In Asia, as I understand
it, intellectual copyrights are not rigorously enforced. Does MS make
raids on businesses in Singapore to look for valid licenses? When MS
feels the pain (It made 16 billion last year, so no pain yet) it might
actually get a lot tougher on software pirates.

If MS software is free, it IS a good bargain and why not use it.
Upgrades costs will be minimal, too, so MS can't just gouge you as it
sees fit. Having to pay for software that others use for free is just
one more extra burden for American business. It seems odd that US based
firms don't sue MS for not enforcing its copyrights in Asia. That might
be a good class action suit!

     <OT_RANT>I can't help but compare this situation to the
     drug industry. We Americans pay more for pharmaceuticals
     because we respect copyright laws, whereas in Europe the
     governments are monoply buyers and threaten to make their
     own generics if the pharmaceutical companies don't meet
     their price. European drug companies are shifting their
     efforts to the United States, also.  This can't go on,
     and already Americans are finding out ways to buy cheaper
     drugs from Canada. This will of course lead to fundelmental
     changes in the pharmaceutical industry, that is to say,
     a lot less drug research and a lot fewer new drugs. If you
     don't think this is important, think about the improvements
     in drug therapy for heart disease and cancer in the last
     40 years.  Naturally, certain types of politicians paint
     the drugs companies as bad guys. In a democracy, people
     in the long run get what they deserve. </OT_RANT>

Joel