Net Llama! wrote:

Gotta ask. What is so stupid about what I consider the best
packaging/updating scheme out there. (sorry, haven't tried gentoo) You
can keep debian updated using only a couple of commands once in a while.
(apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade)

Not if you want to compile from source. I want what I install to be optomized for my hardware & environment. I've yet to find any easy way of doing that in Debian.

Hmm... you must mean the src.rpm's that are available on redhat, etc. There is an option to download src.debs using apt-get, also. I haven't tried it. When I want to use source, I just download the source gz file, unpack it, then:

./configure
make
checkinstall -D
This makes a .deb file for easy uninstalling later.

Note the second line (from /etc/apt/sources.list), if uncommented, enables source deb downloads. As I said, I haven't tried it.

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
#deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

I hear a lot about debian zealotry. Guess I don't see that, but am
certainly open to an explanation...

Calling it 'Gnu/Linux' for starters. Some rather ridiculous requirements about GPL licensing.

Yes, agreed; odd requirement.

I use Libranet, a debian based distro, which provides an excellent install, a good management tool, and a system that is more up to date than debian stable (quite stale), but not so bleeding edge as debian unstable. It just works, and updates are a breeze.

--
Ken