On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ken Moffat wrote:
> Net Llama! wrote:
>
> >>Gotta ask. What is so stupid about what I consider the best
> >>packaging/updating scheme out there. (sorry, haven't tried gentoo) You
> >>can keep debian updated using only a couple of commands once in a while.
> >>(apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade)
> >>

> >Not if you want to compile from source.  I want what I install to be
> >optomized for my hardware & environment.  I've yet to find any easy way of
> >doing that in Debian.
> >

> Hmm... you must mean the src.rpm's that are available on redhat, etc.
> There is an option to download src.debs using apt-get, also. I haven't
> tried it. When I want to use source, I just download the source gz file,

I'd be really curious on whether source Debs are as easy to deploy as
binary.  If they are then my concerns are unfounded.

> unpack it, then:
>
> ./configure
> make
> checkinstall -D
> This makes a .deb file for easy uninstalling later.

Sure, but if you're going to go that route, then you're not really getting
the 'advantage' of debian any longer.  its just as simple to do that on a
redhat box to give me the RPM at the end.