Joel Hammer wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into them.

One point, maybe a sore one. Consumers Report recommended laptops with
centrino chips because they get longer battery life and fit into a smaller
case. I haven't used a laptop before, so I don't have a good feel for
batteries. How long can you go on one charge on the laptops you like, just
doing stuff like word processing?

Joel

One thing I noticed : if you play CD's in your CD-ROM drive, that depletes your battery like nothing else can. I normally get 2.5 hours from my laptop, but with CD's (I'm talking about music, not games) I get 1 - 1.5 hours tops.

And, yes, IBM batteries suck ! After 1 year, the battery in my previous Thinkpad (an X240, IIRC) died, and I had to plug my laptop into a wall socket everytime I needed to boot-up.

Regards,
pascal chong