Collins Richey wrote:
Is there an easy way to backup a windows partition then restore it later without
gimping anything that windows requires?

I have a small hda (hda1 is a win98 partition, the rest is a swap and a linux
partition).  My active linux systems are on hdb.

I want to retain the win98 stuff (rest of hda is not needed) then replace hda
with a much larger disk, restore the win98 stuff, redo grub, etc.

Booting without hda is no problem, since I have a grub boot disk.

I just want to avoid the pain of reinstalling win98 (mucho yucky, worse than
configuring sendmail).

try and get a copy of ghost. Then you can move the wintendo partition over to the new drive. Less hassle then any back-up scheme.

On another note, I just put a new system together and starting the gentoo install as I type. For some reason I could not get my scsi cdrom to boot the live cd. We got arround it and am now waiting for the "emerge system" to complete. I thought that this wasn't so bad on an AMD 750 Athlon but this 1.8 G Athlon sure seems snappy.

Cheers

-- Ted Ozolins (VE7TVO) Westbank, B. C.