Collins Richey wrote:

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 06:48:16 -0800 Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mike Reinehr wrote:

Rather than purchase commercial software, why not just use tar, cp, dd, or partimage?

Partimage will back up to a file, and restore a partition. Don't know about 'fat' partition support. I assume it's in there.

http://www.sysresccd.org/systools.en.php
looks like a nice set of tools that might help.

Thanks, partimage is the answer!

I was able to run partimage to save the win98 partition, swap out the drive,
reboot and fdisk, then restore the image to the new drive.  win98 comes up just
fine.

Unfortunately, after all is said and done, I only gained 2 gig!  My spare
drive wasn't as large as I remembered <groan>.  Oh well, I'm sure I'll be doing
this again when I have some spare change for a new drive.

Thanks for the help.

With Partimage you might need to resize the filesystem to get the full usage. I seem to remember that if the partition you are restoring to is bigger than the original, you will just use the needed amount. Not sure about that....

--
Ken