"Leon A. Goldstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Tue, 04 Nov 2003 17:55:29 -0500
Collins Richey wrote:
The feedback on Linux Today is a mixture of SCO take your [EMAIL PROTECTED] and stuff
it, KDE
will die (the Novel/XIMIAN connection), and bemoaning the loss of European
control of a major linux distro.  I would think(hope) that Novell has learned
something since the Unix debacle.  The initial press release indicates that
Novell will push the desktop offerings.  Since RedHat has chosen to concentrate
on servers, this merger (if well executed) could provide the impetus to bring
linux to a lot more of the commercial desktop user market.

Maybe you won't need to signup with MS, Roger, to hasten the demise of MS!

Some of us remember what happened to DR DOS and Word Perfect after Novell bought them. It is not auspicious IMHO.

Back in those days Novell had other options and revenue streams. Those represented a attempt to move WAY out of their core business. Today things are different. Novell is flailing away in a desperate attempt to remain relevant in corporate IT and as a business. I think the acquisition nicely complements the only things they have left to offer their customers.

-- Alma