On Saturday 04 August 2001 03:35, Jim Conner wrote:
> On a positive note:
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010803/tc/dell_australia_no_plans_to_ditc
>h_linux_1.html
>
> Jim

I suspect that's because the Linux community in OZ is better represented than
most. We are constantly fed linux distros and linux apps each month from
almost all the computer magazines. The "free cd's" on the cover have a
voracious appetite, so it's a great sell feature for the magazine that it
supplies 99 cd's this month, most of them linux distros to make the bulk.

I get more than enough tourists in the shop from OZ who are 'delighted' to
see Linux workstations, and internet browsers in the cafe. As much as 20% of
them 'know' what's going on, which is a pleasant surprise.

I would imagine Dell in Oz have a ready market, I know two budding uni
students here that ordered from Dell, linux systems (RH 6.0 and Col 2.3
respectively). So I was surprised by the US announcement. The Unis in oz tend
to concentrate on C programming 101 and to that end, they 'recommend' Linux,
or at least some other than a gui windows interface, for their course-notes.