--- Michael Scottaline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2001 11:03:09 -0700 (PDT)
> Net Llama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insightfully noted:
>
> NL> I, for one, am not the least bit dismayed.  It makes sense.  In
> fact,
> NL> Dell is truly one of the last major vendors to drop Linux on the
> NL> desktop. AFAIK, IBM is the only one remaining.
> ============================
> But there are quite a few smaller companies, seemingly making money,

I'm not so sure how many are truly profitable.  AS Labs claims to be
profitable, but they are playing in a niche market.  THey're certainly
not shooting for widespread growth & acceptance.  THere's Penguin
Computing, but i have no clue how profitable they are, if at all.

> still
> putting Linux on the desktop, as well as servers.  Is VA still selling
> linux on the desktop, or only on servers, while moving over the the
> "service" field?

VA Linux threw in the towel on the desktop market back in January.
THey've been desperately trying to sell off the remaining workstations
since that time, and still haven't. As you may, or may not know, they
gave up on hardware altogether on June 28.  Anything sold since then has
been remaining inventory.

Margins on the desktop hardware are razor thin.  Only the big guys
(Dell, Compaq, Gateway) have any hope of making a profit through volume
sales.  Margins are a bit better on the server side, but they are still
rather small when you have to compete on price against IBM, Sun, and
even Dell.

=====